fire

Texas Road fire causes approximately $100,000 damage

 

A Saturday morning fire on Texas Road has caused about $100,000 in damage, according to the Amherstburg Fire Department.

Fire crews were called to the home in the 300 block of Texas Road shortly before 10:30 a.m. Amherstburg fire stations 1 and 2 attended the call, which saw the fire be in the basement of the home.

The Amherstburg Fire Department reported via Twitter that all residents of the home were outside upon arrival of firefighters. The fire was knocked down and crews checked for fire extension.

Firefighters reportedly packed up and left the scene about two hours later. By early Saturday afternoon, the Amherstburg Fire Department stated their investigation showed that use of an electric heat gun that was thawing a frozen pipe in the basement was the cause of the fire.

There were no injuries, the fire department added.

Damage estimated at $150,000 after McLellan Ave. fire

 

The Amherstburg Fire Department is estimating the damage at $150,000 after a basement fire on McLellan Ave.

Fire crews were reportedly on scene in the 300 block of McLellan Ave. just after 6 p.m. Monday night for the fire, which is said to have started in a basement crawl space and was contained to a small area of the basement. The Amherstburg Fire Department added there was smoke damage throughout the home.

The cause of fire was unable to be determined, fire officials add.

Shortly after arrival, the fire department conducted an “interior attack” to combat the fire. Everyone got out of the home and the fire department reported no injuries. When firefighters arrived, there was “heavy smoke showing” from the home.

By roughly 6:40 p.m., the Amherstburg Fire Department reported the fire was out and that crews were checking for hot spots. Crews started to be released from the scene around that time.

Amherstburg Public School donates $600 to family impacted by fire

 

 

By RTT Staff

 

A few privileges for Amherstburg Public School students has led to a nice contribution to a local family that was impacted by fire.

The school presented Erik Renaud, Jessica Cockram and their children Logan and Easton Cockram-Renaud with $600 in Walmart gift cards last Tuesday morning. The proceeds were from a “Privilege Day” held the previous Wednesday at the school in which students could bring in money in exchange for the privilege of wearing a hat or pajamas.

Staff also had a “dress down” day that day as well that generated additional funds.

The events were organized by teachers Suzanne Shepley and Margaret Hawkins to assist the family that was impacted by the fire at 170 Gore St. a few weeks ago.

Both Renaud and Cockram commented about the strong support they have had from the community.

Amherstburg Public School assisted one of the families impacted by the recent fire on Gore St. by raising $600 in Walmart gift cards. From left: teachers Suzanne Shepley and Margaret Hawkins, Jessica Cockram, Erik Renaud and children Logan and Easton Cockram-Renaud and principal Mark Campell.

Amherstburg Public School assisted one of the families impacted by the recent fire on Gore St. by raising $600 in Walmart gift cards. From left: teachers Suzanne Shepley and Margaret Hawkins, Jessica Cockram, Erik Renaud and children Logan and Easton Cockram-Renaud and principal Mark Campell.

“We’ve had so much support,” said Renaud.

The family is living with Renaud’s grandparents and are searching for a new home. The family is grateful for the support and is trying to pay that support forward.

Cockram said they are very thankful to the community.

“It just shows when something happens in a small town, everyone pulls together,” said Renaud.

Amherstburg Public School principal Mark Campbell said they were happy to assist in any way they can.

“We’re just glad we could help out a little bit,” he said.

Shepley added that “our students really pulled together.”

Damage from Gore St. blaze estimated at $350,000

 

By RTT Staff

 

The cause of the house fire on Gore St. Tuesday morning is undetermined as the Amherstburg Fire Department has concluded its investigation.

The fire department, via Twitter, updated the situation Tuesday evening after the May 10 issue of the River Town Times had gone to press.

“Damage to 170 Gore was so extensive a cause of the fire could not be determined,” the fire department tweeted.

The Amherstburg Fire Department also stated that three adjacent homes to 170 Gore suffered heat damage their exterior. Damage estimate to all of the homes is $350,000.

Working smoke alarm alerted the occupants, the fire department stated.

“Investigation of fire at 170 Gore is completed. Fire originated in main floor laundry room and extended throughout the building,” the fire department added, via Twitter.

fire logo

The community is already coming together to help those who lived in the home. Laura Lucier, a former tenant of the home, has started to collect clothing and other good for some of the tenants. She said Royal Canadian Legion Br. 157 is accepting some of the donations.

“It was a family downstairs with two little boys,” she said.

Clothing for that family includes request for clothes for one adult male, one adult female and two boys ages three years and six months. Household items, toiletries and monetary donations are also welcome, she noted.

“Neither of the tenants had insurance,” Lucier told the River Town Times. “They literally have nothing.”

For more details, contact Royal Canadian Legion Br. 157 at 519-736-4485.

Anyone with details on any other kind of fundraiser or clothing drive for the impacted residents can e-mail the information to mail@rivertowntimes.com.

“Amherstburg is good at pulling together,” said Lucier.

“Heavy fire damage” at Gore St. home

A house fire in the 100 block of Gore St. caused damage but it is reported all occupants of the home escaped safely.

Amherstburg firefighters were called to the home, located at 170 Gore St., just after 7:30 a.m. The Amherstburg Fire Department reported “heavy fire damage” to the home.

Both the Amherstburg Fire Department and the Amherstburg Police Service reported that all occupants of the home got out of the house.

fire logo

Essex Powerlines were also reporting that the fire caused a power outage. The hydro company tweeted that there was a power outage in Amherstburg due to the fire and live power lines were down affecting King St., Seymour St., Murray St. and Richmond St. Power was restored a few hours later.

There was no word on the cause of the fire or a damage estimate as of press time. The Amherstburg Fire Department stated around 10:15 a.m. that the fire had been put out and fire crews were checking for “hot spots” at that time.

Amherstburg police stated around 2:25 p.m. that Gore St. was reopened to traffic but fire investigators were still on scene.

Royal Canadian Legion Br. 157 has taken up a collection for the family impacted. On their Facebook page, the Legion posted “A fire completely destroyed a rental unit on Gore Street this morning. The tenants have lost everything. Branch 157 is seeking the support of its members and the public – Please drop off clothing (2 boys, aged 3 yrs & 6 months), household items, toiletries and monetary donations are welcome. Contact Laura Lucier or the Branch for more details 519-736-4485.”