Notice of intent issued to demolish building at 238 Dalhousie St.

 

 

The owner of the building at 238 Dalhousie St. has given the town notice the plan is to demolish the building. The owner plans a condominium/commercial development for the site.

The owner of the building at 238 Dalhousie St. has given the town notice the plan is to demolish the building. The owner plans a condominium/commercial development for the site.

By Ron Giofu

 

Town council has received notice that the owner of the building at 238 Dalhousie St. intends to demolish it and build a condominium development on the property.

Lawyer Jeffrey Baker sent a letter to town council on behalf of his client – listed in the letter as 2358191 Ontario Inc. – stating that the new development would sit on the site of the current building.

Baker said they are filing applications for an amendment to the zoning bylaw and for approval of a Plan of Condominium for the site “for the purpose of what promises to be an exciting new residential/commercial development in the heart of downtown Amherstburg.”

Baker added in his letter: “It is our client’s intention to demolish the existing building at 238 Dalhousie St. to accommodate this new development and are writing this letter on behalf of our client to inform (the town) of such plan and intent.”

The proposed zoning amendment and application for approval of the condominium will come before council “in the normal course,” Baker added in his letter.

“There will be further applications coming before council in the future which will provide more details on what is being planned,” Baker told the River Town Times.

As for the size of the building and when the applications would be going before town council, Baker added that he was not in a position to provide any more information.

The building was built in 1915 and was the home of The Amherstburg Echo from then until 2009 when Sun Media closed the office and consolidated local operations in Windsor. That arrangement lasted until late 2012 when the media company closed the Echo, the Windsor This Week and Leamington Post (the latter having had its own office in Leamington).

The building also housed a Bell Telephone office from 1918-51. The site has also housed restaurants and other businesses in its history with three businesses currently operating out of the location.

Comments are closed.