Belle Vue through the hands of the property owners

 

 

(Editor’s Note: This is the fourth in a series of articles by historian/genealogist Debra Honor regarding the Belle Vue house and its history. Honor is a member of the Belle Vue Conservancy.)

 

By Debra Honor UE, PLCGS

 

The beautiful home of Robert Reynolds, Belle Vue, has over 200 years of stories to tell. This article will explain the progression of owners.

The Wyandot First Nations made a gift of land to the many Loyalists who helped during the American Revolution. The Crown accepted the transfer of the property in 1797 and granted Alexander McKee with 2,000 acres which included Lot 4 Concession 1. Alexander’s son, Thomas McKee, sold the property to William Mills on the 20th November 1807.

William Mills was mortally wounded at the Battle of the River Raisin 1813 and is buried in the big stone crypt at Christ Church. After the War of 1812, having no children, his estate was settled. James Gordon acquired his house (Gordon House) and Robert Reynolds bought the former McKee property for £2,000. The transaction settled on the 20 August 1817. This property included Lots 4, 21, 28, 40 and 47 going back to Concession 5. Five days later, Robert sold the south half of all those lots to George Benson Hall for £1,000. Robert Reynolds built Belle Vue on Lot 4 on the riverfront.

This is the front of Belle Vue in the Italianate style with William Johnston and his family on the front lawn. (Special to the RTT)

This is the front of Belle Vue in the Italianate style with William Johnston and his family on the front lawn. (Special to the RTT)

Robert owned the property for 42 years. In 1842, he severed a part of Lot 4 for his son, Dr. Robert Todd Reynolds to build a house. Dr. Reynolds purchased his aging father’s property on 27 May 1859 giving his father a “Life Lease”. Robert Reynolds died in 1865 and his son soon put the farm up for sale which took until the 1st August 1871 when William Johnston, a local druggist (pharmacist) purchased the property. The Johnston family modernized and enlarged the house in the Italianate style including two large reception rooms with bay windows and a new front veranda. They lived in the house for 16 years.

(Continued next month)

 

Please support our fundraising campaign. One-hundred per cent of your contribution will be used for restoration of the Belle Vue House. You will receive a full tax receipt and a Belle Vue gift. Visit amherstburg.ca/donate to help us open up Belle Vue once again!

Comments are closed.